When you are deeply concerned over a close friend's hoarding habits, you may finally build up enough courage to talk to him or her about this. When this day arrives, it's important for you to have a strategy in place for the discussion, and you should also have a plan designed to help the person clean up his or her home. As you prepare for this day, here are some tips that may help you with this.
Come Up With a Strategy
The strategy you will need to come up with should be clear and firm and should demonstrate the concerns you have about this situation. As you think about the angle you will use, consider one of these options:
- Health concerns – One angle you could take is explaining to your friend that you are concerned about this for health reasons. Living in a home that is full of junk and trash is the perfect breeding place for bugs and rodents. Because of this, the house might not even be safe for your friend to live in.
- Fire hazards – A second approach to consider is explaining that this type of situation poses fire hazards. As you talk about this, let your friend know that you love him or her and are concerned about this.
- City violations – Another idea is to let your friend know that he or she could lose this house for violating city ordinances. This is often a good approach to take when others do not work because no one wants to lose their home.
As you discuss your concerns with your friend, be loving, yet firm.
Plans To Clean Up the Mess
If your friend agrees that this is a problem and is willing to do something about it, he or she might be more cooperative if you have a plan in place. This plan should consist of:
- Having help – You can either hire people to come in and remove the trash, or you could assemble a group of friends and family members that are willing to take on the task.
- Getting dumpsters – You should be prepared to get several dumpsters for the job, depending on how much trash is involved, and you can order them from a garbage collection company.
- Offering counseling – It may also be important to suggest that your friend go to counseling to help him or her with this problem. Without counseling, he or she may end up in the same position after the house is completed cleaned out.
If you are ready to take a stand and help your friend with this horrible situation, call a garbage collection company like C n' C Junk Removal to find out how much it would cost to get dumpsters for the job.